Qualifying Petition Info
How does one become a candidate?
To start the process of becoming a candidate, the person must first
pick up a qualifying petition at our office. The
candidate will take the petition and obtain at least 25 valid
signatures of registered voters in the district that he or she
is running in.
The potential candidate must also complete the following candidate
1. Appointment of Political Treasurer. Candidates must appoint a
“Political Treasurer”. The candidate may appoint
himself/herself as Treasurer; most candidates do.
2. Statement of Interest. (i.e., “Conflict of Interest Statement)
The Qualifying Petition must be turned back to our office no later
than 12:00 noon on the 3rd Thursday of the 3rd
month prior to the Election.
What is a “valid signature”?
· A qualifying petition must contain at least 25 signatures of
qualified voters of the district, city or county in which
· the candidate is running in.
· A qualified voter is a registered voter who is: a citizen of the
U.S.; a resident of the State of Tennessee; 18
· years old or older or will be 18 by the day of the election; & a
non-felon (or they have had their voting rights
· Voters are required to vote in the precinct in which they live.
· The signer must give his/her residence address. “P.O. Boxes” as
the only address cannot be counted as valid.
· The signature of the signer must match the that on file. In other
words, a person cannot sign for another person.
· The signer must print his/her name and provide the residence
address and sign where indicated.
Can a person withdraw from the race?
Yes. If a candidate wishes to withdraw his/her petition, he/she must
do so in writing to the election commission
office no later than the 7th day after the qualifying deadline by
However, a candidate cannot have his/her name removed from the
ballot once the withdrawal deadline has passed.
When is the last day a person can register to vote?
The 30th day before the election is the last day to register. (Do
not count election day as one of the 30 days)
Can someone other than the candidate pick up the qualifying
Yes, someone can pick up a petition for a candidate, however, the
election commission must fill out who it is for. A
person cannot pick up a blank petition.
What is the earliest day a person can pick up a Qualifying Petition?
No more than 90 days before the Qualifying Deadline.
How can a person register to vote?
A person can register to vote in the following manner:
By registering in person at the election commission office; or go to
our website, print off the registration form, complete it and mail
it in or drop it off; or
Register at the following agencies: (if forms are available)
· County Clerk’s Office,
· Dept. of Safety,
· Register of Deeds
· Dept. of Human Services
· Post Office